Friday, October 28, 2011

The Lord is my shepherd; The Earth is the Lord's and its Fullness Thereof

Psalm 23 is one of the most recognized psalm of all. Many things can be said about this psalm. In it, David expresses his dependence on God as his shepherd and the fact that there is nothing more satisfying after having God as His shepherd. It also expresses David's confidence in God to protect him as he goes through tribulations, "as I walk through the valley of the shadow of death". It looks forward to the overflowing blessings from God as well as the security of the future as God has already prepared a place for us in His House.

"The earth is the LORD’s, and all its fullness" sums up the position of God as Creator and Owner of all creation. David opens the Psalm with this introduction, and then leads the people to honour the LORD. It is interesting he mentions "This is Jacob, the generation of those who seek Him" and there are times in history where the people seek Him more and other times they seek Him less. Finally David reveals the Glory of the LORD in strength, might and undisputed King of all Creation.


Psalm 24

A Psalm of David.

 1 The earth is the LORD’s, and all its fullness,
         The world and those who dwell therein.
 2 For He has founded it upon the seas,
         And established it upon the waters.
       
 3 Who may ascend into the hill of the LORD?
         Or who may stand in His holy place?
 4 He who has clean hands and a pure heart,
         Who has not lifted up his soul to an idol,
         Nor sworn deceitfully.
 5 He shall receive blessing from the LORD,
         And righteousness from the God of his salvation.
 6 This is Jacob, the generation of those who seek Him,
         Who seek Your face.  Selah
       
 7 Lift up your heads, O you gates!
         And be lifted up, you everlasting doors!
         And the King of glory shall come in.
 8 Who is this King of glory?
         The LORD strong and mighty,
         The LORD mighty in battle.
 9 Lift up your heads, O you gates!
         Lift up, you everlasting doors!
         And the King of glory shall come in.
 10 Who is this King of glory?
         The LORD of hosts,
         He is the King of glory.  Selah

Psalm 23

A Psalm of David.

 1 The LORD is my shepherd;
         I shall not want.
 2 He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
         He leads me beside the still waters.
 3 He restores my soul;
         He leads me in the paths of righteousness
         For His name’s sake.
       
 4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
         I will fear no evil;
         For You are with me;
         Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
       
 5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
         You anoint my head with oil;
         My cup runs over.
 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
         All the days of my life;
         And I will dwell[a] in the house of the LORD
         Forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews