Thursday, February 11, 2010

Job challenges his friends

   We have seen previously how Job cursed the day he was borne and gave an impression of how self-pitying he was. This was followed by some lecturing from his friends telling him that he must have done wrong to deserve such punishment and that he should repent. Then we also see that Job knew where he stood as he began to rebuke his friends. In the passage below, Job's rebuke shows his confidence in his standing before God. He does not show any weakness qualities which would have otherwise made him surrender to the accusations of his friends. Instead, Job boldly challenges their claims and even called them lies.

In the second part of this passage, as well as talking to his friends, Job was also challenging God to show him his mistakes. This is not necessarily arrogance, rather a person who knows God's standard so well that he asks God openly to show him where he has done wrong since he could not see where his errors are. The mistake that Job made however, was to assume that his misfortunes were a direct act of God.

Are we too afraid to claim the we are righteous, even our Lord's  righteousness imparted on us? Have we walked close enough with God to be confident in knowing His standards? To be able to challenge God the way Job has indicates a deep relationship between Job and God. 



Job 13

 1 "My eyes have seen all this,
       my ears have heard and understood it.

 2 What you know, I also know;
       I am not inferior to you.

 3 But I desire to speak to the Almighty
       and to argue my case with God.

 4 You, however, smear me with lies;
       you are worthless physicians, all of you!

 5 If only you would be altogether silent!
       For you, that would be wisdom.

 6 Hear now my argument;
       listen to the plea of my lips.

 7 Will you speak wickedly on God's behalf?
       Will you speak deceitfully for him?

 8 Will you show him partiality?
       Will you argue the case for God?

 9 Would it turn out well if he examined you?
       Could you deceive him as you might deceive men?

 10 He would surely rebuke you
       if you secretly showed partiality.

 11 Would not his splendor terrify you?
       Would not the dread of him fall on you?

 12 Your maxims are proverbs of ashes;
       your defenses are defenses of clay.

 13 "Keep silent and let me speak;
       then let come to me what may.

 14 Why do I put myself in jeopardy
       and take my life in my hands?

 15 Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him;
       I will surely 
[a] defend my ways to his face.
 16 Indeed, this will turn out for my deliverance,
       for no godless man would dare come before him!

 17 Listen carefully to my words;
       let your ears take in what I say.

 18 Now that I have prepared my case,
       I know I will be vindicated.

 19 Can anyone bring charges against me?
       If so, I will be silent and die.

 20 "Only grant me these two things, O God,
       and then I will not hide from you:

 21 Withdraw your hand far from me,
       and stop frightening me with your terrors.

 22 Then summon me and I will answer,
       or let me speak, and you reply.

 23 How many wrongs and sins have I committed?
       Show me my offense and my sin.

 24 Why do you hide your face
       and consider me your enemy?

 25 Will you torment a windblown leaf?
       Will you chase after dry chaff?

 26 For you write down bitter things against me
       and make me inherit the sins of my youth.

 27 You fasten my feet in shackles;
       you keep close watch on all my paths
       by putting marks on the soles of my feet.

 28 "So man wastes away like something rotten,
       like a garment eaten by moths.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews