Sunday, February 2, 2014

Woe is me if I do not preach the gospel

1 Corinthians 9
For if I preach the gospel, I have nothing to boast of, for necessity is laid upon me; yes, woe is me if I do not preach the gospel!

Paul stating that he needs to preach the gospel, almost being compelled to do so. The word 'woe' adds significant weight and urgency to it, implying that there is really no other option for him. This is not to say Paul is reluctant, on the contrary, there are many evidences of his strong willingness to do so on his part. However this also says that the Lord compelled Paul to preach the gospel, especially appearing to Him in such a fashion on the road to Damascus.

When a believer reads this and ponders, he will be asking himself, does God require all born again believers to preach the gospel, beyond giving a personal testimony about their conversion. By looking from the Bible itself, we see there are different roles including pastors, teachers, evangelists and so on. And another fact to remember is that preaching of the gospel is not the condition of our salvation. So there is no question of being saved if we believe and accept Jesus as Lord after our repentance. Another way to answer this is if one feels compelled to preach the gospel, and not out of personal gain, then that could be the calling to preach.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews