Tuesday, November 1, 2011

David Walks in Integrity, Still Rely on God's Mercy and Lovingkindness

David expresses how he persevered to walk in integrity and keep on obeying God's laws, even at the face of great adversity. The adversity came from enemies, idolators around him, evildoers, the wicked and so on. David maintains his innocence by obeying God. As a result he is full of thanksgiving toward God and fully appreciates being close to God.

David pleads his case, that he should not be grouped together with sinners. Instead he continues to ask God for his mercy and he continues to bless the LORD. Some parts of this Psalm shows David very confident of where he stands, yet he pleads to God for mercy and inclusion with God and not sinners. Perhaps he also has a sense of his own continuing mortal sins that as much as he tried, he still know that he may sin again. But even so, he places complete confidence and trust in his LORD to deliver him, not for his own righteousness but because of God's mercy and lovingkindness.

Psalm 26

A Psalm of David.

 1 Vindicate me, O LORD,
         For I have walked in my integrity.
         I have also trusted in the LORD;
         I shall not slip.
 2 Examine me, O LORD, and prove me;
         Try my mind and my heart.
 3 For Your lovingkindness is before my eyes,
         And I have walked in Your truth.
 4 I have not sat with idolatrous mortals,
         Nor will I go in with hypocrites.
 5 I have hated the assembly of evildoers,
         And will not sit with the wicked.
       
 6 I will wash my hands in innocence;
         So I will go about Your altar, O LORD,
 7 That I may proclaim with the voice of thanksgiving,
         And tell of all Your wondrous works.
 8 LORD, I have loved the habitation of Your house,
         And the place where Your glory dwells.
       
 9 Do not gather my soul with sinners,
         Nor my life with bloodthirsty men,
 10 In whose hands is a sinister scheme,
         And whose right hand is full of bribes.
       
 11 But as for me, I will walk in my integrity;
         Redeem me and be merciful to me.
 12 My foot stands in an even place;
         In the congregations I will bless the LORD.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews