Saturday, March 23, 2013

For all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you


Jesus uses the analogy of the vine to explain the relationship between God the Father, Jesus Himself and His people. Jesus is the vine and His people are the branches. Those who bear fruit will be pruned and produce more fruit. Those who are unfruitful will be cast out, thrown away and burned. This is again the principle of increasing those who are faithful and removing those who are not. The goal at the end of this is that the Father is glorified.

Jesus continues to teach His disciples various important things regarding His relationship with them. They include:
- Loving Him mean obeying His commandments.
- Although commandment also include the Old Testament commandments, but the context is the commandment of love which all others hang on, together with the commandment to love God.
- Jesus describes the ultimate sign of love is to sacrifice ourselves for one another.
- Jesus does not regard us and Him as servant - master relationship. Indeed Jesus the Lord says He regards us as His friends. Some people emphasise the reverence and fear of God and disregard those who call Jesus as a friend. In this Scripture we see Jesus Himself clearly says if we obey Him, He regards us as friends.
- A significant result of such friendship between Jesus and us is that He would reveal many things to us, and we can no longer say those phrases like "God is a mysterious God", since Jesus says "for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you."

Jesus explains that the world, meaning the unbelievers, will hate his followers. This is not because of the followers but because they are actually hating Jesus and so His followers will experience their hatred too. They will not hate their fellow unbelievers. Jesus also explained their source of hatred is fulfilling prophecy that they hated Him without a cause. Finally Jesus promises the Holy Spirit who will be send by the Father, who will witness Jesus to us.









John 15
The True Vine

1 “I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. 2 Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away;[a] and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit. 3 You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. 4 Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.

5 “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. 6 If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned. 7 If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will[b] ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you. 8 By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples.

Love and Joy Perfected

9 “As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love. 10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.

11 “These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full. 12 This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. 14 You are My friends if you do whatever I command you. 15 No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you. 16 You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you. 17 These things I command you, that you love one another.

The World’s Hatred

18 “If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you. 19 If you were of the world, the world would love its own. Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. 20 Remember the word that I said to you, ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you. If they kept My word, they will keep yours also. 21 But all these things they will do to you for My name’s sake, because they do not know Him who sent Me. 22 If I had not come and spoken to them, they would have no sin, but now they have no excuse for their sin. 23 He who hates Me hates My Father also. 24 If I had not done among them the works which no one else did, they would have no sin; but now they have seen and also hated both Me and My Father. 25 But this happened that the word might be fulfilled which is written in their law, ‘They hated Me without a cause.’[c]

The Coming Rejection

26 “But when the Helper comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify of Me. 27 And you also will bear witness, because you have been with Me from the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews